Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

FAA Issues Spaceport America License

Spaceport America at Upham, New Mexico has won FAA/AST license approval to become the nation's seventh commercial spaceport yesterday. It follows Alaska (Kodiak), California (Mojave and a commercial launch site at Vandenberg Air Force Base), Florida (Spaceport Florida at Cape Canaveral), Texas (privately operated by Blue Origin near Van Horn), Oklahoma (Burns Flat) and Virginia (Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport).

The $198 million spaceport (formerly known as the Southwest Regional Spaceport) will start construction early next year with commercial Virgin Galactic flights [5-min video] planned in late 2010 or 2011 [3-min. video of spaceport construction plan].

1 comment:

jtormey3 said...

Exiting FAA Acting Administrator Bobby Sturgell: “You’ll notice I’m throwing new runways, equipment, money, jobs, acronyms, programs, kudos, and concocted self-serving study “results” at communities right before I eject from office. That’s on purpose. The study results make me appear to have been a regulator rather than simple aeromercantile shill. Runways and other rewards are called ‘bribes’. They buy silent cooperation of the recipients. As for the others, I’ll just abuse them. I’ll blame Air Traffic Controllers, pilots, Congress, co-workers, community residents, Israel, India, the Philippines, potash miners, unions, Mother Nature, and even my economic co-conspirators the airlines on my way out, for all my own failures. My best strategy is comprised of the bribes, though – providing me private-sector job security for years to come, while making everybody forget those 3,500-and-climbing aviation fatalities occurring on my FAA ‘watch’”.
http://www.bobbysturgell.org