Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Name Space Station Node 3

NASA is asking space-aware people to help name Node 3 cupola of the International Space Station this month selecting among the names Earthrise, Legacy, Serenity and Venture or write your own suggestion in. Voting will be open until March 20th, 2009. NASA will announce the winning name on April 28, 2009 at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida [video].

Scheduled to be delivered to the space station by space shuttle STS-130 Endeavour in December 10, 2009, the cupola will be used as by astronauts as an observation deck and control room for the station’s robotic arm. The cupola’s seven large windows will offer astronauts "a panoramic view that will be unrivaled by any other spacecraft ever flown," providing a perfect platform for photographing the Earth.

Some have said that Earthrise, Legacy, Serenity and Venture names sound like those of organic tea than an orbiting 21st Century space platform. [ "ISS Baby" Video]

1 comment:

charlie said...

I'm 99% sure that this solar storm is coming. Is it just me or has it seemed like there has been a greater frequency in solar flares over the last couple of years? I've been watching http://spaceweather.com/ over the last few years and I'm not a scientist, but I have noticed an increase in sunspots. I also have satellite internet, so whenever there's a solar flare the signal gets disrupted and I get a headache along w/ it. It could just be my ISP (internet providers in my area that I use in case you were wondering) but with the increase in reports of solar flares and articles like these I'm beginning to think that we really ARE in for a toasty treat in 2012 :/